Posts

Sunday, October 21, 2018

I reside in two places


Sometimes, I find myself in my hometown,
growing up with other kids,
trying to fight stigmas

I always believed I am here to change. 

Other times, I am in my new home, striving to create a new life

I forget I have to change
different things in this new place
I can let myself have some things
but others, I have to fight for

Growing up, I had to fight
for being a woman,
fight for other women

Suddenly I am in this chaos
where I have to fight for being colored
and speaking with an accent

Where did these boundaries come from?
Not sure if I am trying to find my place
Or a war just found me,
demanding attention
It is hard to get away from it

I am the same person
doing the same things I would
back home
Same old habits
Same old me
But now the home has multiple definitions

I am free in both places
It just took me a while
To find my place here
To find me again
Who was lost among the boundaries
that separate us based on our color, accents, and roots

My roots have grown me
into the person I am
My leaves have been searching for air 
it is fed
When I am sought after 
for the person I am
Rather than the differences
Blending into one giant tree
Satiated and contended

No comments:

Post a Comment